1. Mentally strong people don’t make excuses for losing or failing to reach their goals. They accept responsibility and ownership for their behavior. They work hard to improve their mental habits by being positive in the “here and now” moment, instead of bringing excuses to justify their actions. Mentally strong people seek to live in the moment by understanding that the past has its place but will seldom solve your current problem. Learn the lessons of the past but do not get locked-in to the idea that there is only one perfect solution.
2. Mentally tough people don’t expect immediate results from training or deliberative practice. They are patient and persevere no matter the results. Change and mastery of skills and clear thinking come in a step by step way and this process is honored.
3. MT people manage expectations—Whether they are working on improving their strength or physical endurance or just getting started in a new activity, mentally tough people don’t expect immediate results. Instead, they apply their skills, energy and time to the best of their ability and understand that real change takes time.
4. They Don’t Give Up After the First Failure—Mentally strong people don’t view failure as a reason to give up. Instead, they use failure as challenge to learn and improve their skills. They look for ways to see the obstacles for change as an opportunity to grow and improve. They are willing to keep trying until they get it right by always doing the the Best they can do in any activity.
5. They Don’t Waste Energy on Things They Can’t Control—You won’t hear a mentally tough person complaining over lost of a match or traffic jams. Instead, they focus on what they can control in their lives. They recognize that sometimes, the only thing they can control is their attitude.
6. They Don’t Shy Away from Challenges and Change—Mentally strong people don’t try to avoid change and challenges. Instead, they welcome positive change and are willing to be open minded and flexible. They understand that change is inevitable and believe in their abilities to renew, grow and develop their talents.