Constructive Living Self-Coaching Personal Change Model: T.R.U.S.T
Step 1. TELL the Truth to yourself and others – Be clear on change wanted and goals. Tell truth to yourself and others… no lies, be authentic and open.
Stop and answer the following:
- Know Your Desired outcome and purpose for changing.
- Take deep breath Center yourself. Calm down. Count to twenty.
- What do you want in the future given your present situation?
- What do you need to do to get from present situation to the future?
- What resources do you to bring to bear on the situation to succeed?
Ask the following of yourself: I want… I need… I resent… I demand…in order to create a better future?
Step 2. REALITY check: Assess current situation and its impact
- What is important to you right now?
- What is currently happening?
- Do you resent or want to change anything in the current situation?
- What are some of your current successes? What’s worked? and Not?
- What are your initiatives for NEXT Week ?
- What are your problems (things you have now that you would like to be rid of)?
- What are your dreams ( things you do not have presently but want to create)
- Are your wants and goals reasonable and achievable?
Step 3. UNDERSTAND self and others point of view and perspective– Demonstrate empathy through understanding and non-judgmental communications and actions.
- How do we create effective and authentic dialogue?
- Your level of empathy and understanding of the other persons situation?
- What are a couple of “top of the mind” priorities in this situation?
- How do you keep balance in your life?
- Conduct a personal inventory or a self-assessment of listning skills?
- What SELF-TALK do you need to send to get moving toward your goals?
Step 4. SYSTEMATIC Review of Alternatives
- If you had a “magic wand to wave what would the situation look like?
- What would an outside observer’s perception or view be of your situation?
- What would a perfect solution look like?
- When weighing the pros and cons of alternatives –What alternative looks best?
- What are some negative or unattented consequences that might occur if you proceed with this alternative?
Step 5. THE Plan of Action –Make a (choice) focus 100% committment on change .
- How can you remove the obstacles blocking you from creating the kind of future you want?
- What will it take for you to commit to positive action for change?
- What resistance or interfernce must you overcome?
- How will you overcome these forces to change?
- Are you still committed to go ahead with plans?
- What is the Plan of Action that demonstrates “Self-Leadership in Action” ?
In summary, the Constructive Living Personal Change Process is a practical tool that you can use to become more empathic and effective in many different situations. The questions are merely meant as broad guidelines to stimulate your thinking and decision-making. In some cases or situations different questions may be called for to establish a meaningful dialogue with yourself. You need to develop flexibility in tailoring this process to fit your unique situation. The key to success is for you to take action on your plans;even if they are just small changes. This process will provide a simple structure for personal coaching. Good Luck with the CL Self-Coaching model and keep us informed of your successes or when you get stuck. Remember in order to change– the new behavior must be put in place of old habits and this takes time (thirty to forty-five days). And never forget the old adage—Be the change you want to see happen.