How to use Dr. Glasser’s Realty Therapy for Self Coaching–Three critical questions to get started.
- What do you want?
- What are you doing to get what you want?
- Is what you are doing working and helping you get what you want ?
Let’s look at Glasser’s theory along a continuum from Authoritarian, Command and Control Leader to Laissez-Faire to Empowering Leader
Empowering Leaders continually work to create an open environment which encourages participation by employees to solve work place problems and self-discover opportunities to do their best and reach their full potential. In addition, it is essential that the empowering leader is able to include and motivate their team to continually upgrade their skills, experience and systems of equality and two-communication that builds competence and trust.
The following grid is one example of how people in any organization can self-evaluate the “quality of their work place environment. The diagnostic chart below lists many characteristics that describe leadership styles. In using this chart employees are encouraged to discuss their perception of various leadership characteristics and their impact on growth, development and excellence in the organizational system.
|Characteristics of Leadership Styles||Command-Control “The Boss”||Empowered Leader||Laissez-faire|
– need-to-know basis
– externally motivated
– supportive and open – builds trust through transparency
– internally motivated
– distant and hands off
– inconsistent and unstructured
|Wants||– dualistic thinking
-control and power over others
employees to do what they are told to do
– group consensus
-focus on employee health and well-being
|– to delegate not tell people what to do
– agreement and support
– everyone to do their best.
-avoidance of too much supervision or structure
– uses harsh words and inflexible rules
Tell and sell approach
severe-reprisals and punishment
|– uses empowering and caring behaviors
– focus on group participation
– uses criteria,improves human relation systems
|– combines both
– says okay
– unclear, does both/none
|Evaluation||– system of punishment
– criteria set by C/C leader
– develops system of self-development
– collaborative on evaluation and feedback
|– never the same
– inconsistent hands off “sink or swim” approach
|Planning||– sets deadlines
– sets new rules goes by the book
|– involvement based on strengths
– workers’ input appreciated
|– what is deemed necessary “now”
– depends on the circumstances