Daily Quote: “The only reality I can possibly know is the world as I perceive and experience it at this moment. The only reality you can possibly know is the world as you perceive and experience it at this moment. And the only certainty is that those perceived realities are different”. –Carl Rogers, A way of Being
Reflection: Being in touch with reality requires clarity on what is possible and realistic in a given situation in life. In my experience one of the best psychological models to live by is Reality Therapy and Choice Theory developed by Dr. William Glasser.
Dr. Glasser theory is based the idea that all people are born with specific basic needs that if left unmet, lead to disappointment, disharmony or disturbance. Reality Therapy classifies these five needs in this manner:
1) Power – A sense of winning, or achieving, or a sense of self-worth
2) Love and Belonging – To a family, to a community, or to other loved ones
3) Freedom – To be independent, maintain your own personal space, autonomy
4) Fun – To achieve satisfaction, enjoyment and a sense of pleasure
5) Survival – Basic needs of shelter, survival, food, sexual fulfillment
The fact that everyone is at all times striving to meet these basic needs is at the heart of Reality Therapy and are the root cause of disappointments.
Examine and reflect on the above needs and rate your perception and feeling about them on a 1-10 scale. 1 need is block or unmet to 10 Fully being met. This week pick one need that is blocked and identify how you can take small steps to meet this need. Good Luck and keep me post on your progress.