“I don’t have any special talents. I am just passionately curious”.–Einstein
What Do I need to do to take charge of my personal and professional development and growth?
The answers to this question are varied. For me, the broad answer is this: I write down what I want, and I write down what I need and then how I plan to get there. I write down barriers to accomplishing what I want and need to create a meaningful and fulfilling life.
That’s the overarching purpose, but I’ll give you some specific examples of what to include in your personal growth and renewal assessment. Some of these items I added after recommendations from a spouse, friend ,colleague and coach. One thing to note though is there are no hard and fast rules – your personal development and renewal assessment and plan are all about you, and what you want to accomplish in critical areas of your life-like the following:
Directions: A quick way to get a picture of where you are in your career and life development is to answer these questions by assigning a number from 1-10 for each of the 10 categories. Score a one if you are unsatisfied and a ten if you are highly satisfied with your awareness, knowledge and comfort in these areas of your life. After completing the exercise review and reflect on your scores. Identify the three lowest scores and then identify the two areas you would most like to improve. Are you committed to change and improve these areas? If so what action can you take to improve or move forward in these areas.
1. Purpose and Personal vision—Why do I get up in the morning?
2. Satisfied and clear on your values, strengths and talents? Do your talents and work responsibilities align
3. Career and work fulfillment fit with values—Where am I now and where do I want to be in 12-18 months? Where do I get stuck or feel frustrated?
4. Energy and vitality for life.
5. Relationships, communications and support systems at work and in personal life?
6. Health and Physical fitness– Are you doing what you need to do to stay physically healthy and and energized?
7. Spirituality–Do you spend time and make contact with a power ( religion, nature etc) greater than yourself ?
8. Time and Stress Management– Do you spend time on your real priorities in life?
9. Fun-Do you take the necessary time to enjoy life and recover from stress ?
10 Financial resources and stability–How are you handling money issues in your life?