“In organizations, real power and energy is generated through relationships. The patterns of relationships and the capacities to form them are more important than tasks, functions, roles, and positions.” Margaret J. Wheatley Leadership and the New Science
In the real world, the people who get Leadership right, again and again, are the ones that demonstrate in their actions the traits of Principle-Centered Leadership. Using these principles to guide everyday interactions and decisions will make you a true leader of and for people, and it’s available to anyone who makes these principles a top of the mind priority.
These principles are a powerful framework for being a Servant Leader. It gives you insight into your strengths and areas for improvement when setting the vision and mission for any organization and team you might be working with. More importantly, it sets up the opportunity for you to differentiate yourself from other less desirable traits of leaders, such as control, selfishness and command. In concrete ways it shows you care about people and their development not just results or profits.
Some leaders are followed out of fear or their ability to control others. But what about cresting followers by using these proven traits make a leader someone people admire and believe in? Top 8 Characteristics of Principle-Centered Leaders (Ch 1, Principle-Centered Leadership by Stephen Covey) On a 1 being low on the trait up to 10 always demonstrating this trait how do you stack up as Principle-Centered Leader. So your challenge is to check yourself on these traits and if you have the courage let the people who work with you rank your performance on these traits. Good Luck on this feedback activity and as always let us know how it went for you.
1. You are a curious person who is a life-long learner and seeker.
2. You are always looking to understand and be of service to others. (Empathy)
3. You model Positive Energy and Optimistic Thinking
4. You Believe in Other People (SFP)
5. You find a way to a Lead Balanced Life
6. You see life as a Journey and an Adventure
7. You are Synergistic (Thinking 1 +1 =3 More than just a Win-Win)
8. You practice Self-Discover through Reflection and Self-Renewal by setting Smart-Goals